About a week ago my trusty Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard broke, and I was forced to use my laptops native keyboard. I somehow managed to be productive during this time, but today my new keyboard came in the mail. So I decided to take it out for a spin, and get to work on a problem that’s starting to irritate me to no end.
My workflow to create the pictures that you see here consists of the following:
1) Run Program
2) Hit ‘Print Screen’ key
3) Open Microsoft Paint
4) CTRL+V the entire screen into Paint
5) Crop out everything but the running window.
6) Upload PNG to WordPress
I now need to manually crop all this, and Paint does not make this easy, since there’s no easy way to simply cut out the middle and delete everything else. So I need to first delete the left, then the top, then the right, then the bottom. To make all this worse, since the image is the size of my desktop I have to scroll up and down in Paint to select all the areas I want to select. All of this work simply to create something that looks like this:
The cropping is what takes the majority of my time, and is the main contributor to the awful look of the programming pictures. So I decided to create a little program that simply prints out the PNG files (a type of image file), that I want, so my workflow looks like:
1) Run Program
2) Specify PNG to create
2) Upload PNG to WordPress
Unfortunately, or rather fortunately (since I find this quite interesting), to accomplish this task I need to do things the hard way, working with raw image data.
Continued in part 2.